2.13.2008

This week I was given the wonderful opportunity to interview Tamar, of Nest Interior Decorating and Nest Pretty Things. Three years ago Tamar moved from Israel to Vermont with her husband and three teenage sons, and has wasted no time in shifting from her career as a fashion editor, creative director, fashion and interior stylist to owning her own interior design business. Tamar also shares her color-filled, real-life-made-gorgeous style through the crafts and designs in her shop. Mostly, I am thrilled to share her warm taste, inspiring perspective, and her photogenic, livable home that functions beautifully in everyday life.
~

How would you describe who you are and what you do?

I worked as a Creative director and Fashion and Interior stylist in magazines and advertising for many years, when we moved to Vermont 3 years ago I left that world behind and started an interior decorating business. Waiting around for clients is not for me, so in between decorating jobs I started designing and making products and selling them on Etsy, it’s been really great and now I do both!







How did your first discover your talent?

I come from a very artistic family, my mother was a painter, my dad is an architect, my grandfather was a painter and my sister is a painter, it’s hard to say when I discovered my own talent, I have been in a creative environment my whole life and was always engaged in some artistic project…..

What is your biggest design and creative influence?

I would say that my style is very eclectic, I love to mix different things, but I would say country modern with a twist of bohemian and funky??? Does that make any sense…?

How does family contribute to or influence your creativity?

Everyone in my family is extremely supportive and they always have something nice to say or positive criticism which makes me think and that pushes me to better places.





What is your favorite space in your home? Why?

Sitting at my work table which is actually part of the dining room, having everyone around me, I love it, I just wish it were bigger.

What are your tips for making a workspace personal, efficient, and inspiring?
I like to have everything out and around me, I like a happy mess, that gets my creative juices going. I clean up after every project making room for the next thing.
I always keep glass jars for storage, I have loads of long white shelves for all my supplies.



What has been your most challenging job or project?

Wholesale orders are challenging but also a lot of fun, as far as my Interior decorating projects, I would say that our house is the biggest challenge of all, turning an ugly ranch into a lovely home.

If you could walk to your window and see anything outside, what would you see?

In the winter a snowy wonderland, in the summer a beautiful garden which I LOVE!

What dreams have you achieved and fulfilled?

Having my own business, I never thought I could do it and moving to Vermont has been an amazing journey.





What is one dream that you hope to attain in the future?

Continuing to do what I love most, being creative!

What would you identify as a turning point in your professional or personal life?

Definitely the move here.




In a regular day, when are you happiest?

Getting up in the morning, reading emails, sipping tea, going for a walk with my husband and the dog.

What makes the biggest difference in the decoration of a home?

Color and accessories.




What are some of your tips for creating a beautiful home on a budget?

Try to re use what you have by painting, reupholstering, or repurposing, I am a great believer in using what you already own. Bring in color to mix with a white palette, get wonderful art to put on your walls, Etsy has some awesome affordable art, thrift shops, yard sales and Craigslist are some of my favorite places to find fun stuff on a budget and my most favorite is Ikea!

How can people add more color to their environment and everyday lives?

I like to use color mixed in with a lot of white. I also use color in accents like pillows with lots of patterns mixed in all together and interesting accessories.






What are you looking forward to wearing in the spring?

A skirt!

What is your dream travel adventure?

NYC, London, Paris, a culinary trip to Italy and the souk in Istanbul

If you could say one thing to the world, about the world today or even about yourself, what would it be?

Spread the love….




What would you say is the single thing that creative people can do to take better advantage of their talents?

Take different classes in different medias, I know each new class I take opens up a whole new world of inspiration.



~

Today is Tamar's son Mikey's 13th birthday. Go ahead and leave birthday notes here

Happy Birthday, Mikey!


.